Super Greens Smoothie Recipe
Here at D. Atkinson Herbalist, we're wild about our SUPER GREENS MIX! Bursting with nutrients usually missing in the average diet, this mix is a detoxifying and rejuvenating mix of greens and antioxidants. With Spirulina, Chlorella, Alfalfa, Wheat Grass, Barley Grass, Ginger, Cranberry and Blueberry, this mix is full of some of the most potent detoxifiers. It comes in three flavours - original, peppermint and cinnamon.
Here is some more information on the properties of each ingredient in our SUPER GREENS MIX:
- Spirulina: Known as a super nutrient, Spirulina is full of easily absorbable protein, Vitamin A, B and E, essential fatty acids, iron, iodine, magnesium, selenium, chlorophyll and is nature's highest vegetarian source of Vitamin B12. It helps with digestion, the nervous system, cellular function and detoxification.
- Chlorella: One of the highest chloryphyll containing plants in the world, it is renowned for alkalizing and cleansing the blood, assisting oxygenation, mineralising the tissue and detoxifying industrial pollutants from everyday life.
- Alfalfa: Alfalfa is an astringent herb which helps to cleanse the tissues of toxins. It also helps the circulatory and urinary systems while also lowering cholesterol levels. It is packed full of minerals, organic acids and amino acids which help repair cells.
- Wheat Grass: High in glutathione, essential for liver detoxification. It purifies the blood, neutralises toxins, removes heavy metals and corrects blood sugar imbalances. Wheat Grass contains chloryphyll, vitamins and nutrients that are essential to a healthy body.
- Barley Grass: Barley Grass is key to rejuvenation by reducing inflammation and degeneration. It is rich in Vitamin E and K, essential nutrients and enzymes, all of which help to renew the cells.
- Ginger: Used for thousands of years, Ginger is the best at assisting digestion and circulation. It helps to assimilate nutrients whilst warming the body.
- Cranberry: Cranberry reduces the occurrence of UTIs, detoxifies the urinary tract and removes toxins from the blood. It is also a super antioxidant filled with compounds like quercetin.
- Blueberry: Another super antioxidant, blueberries are also known for their anti-inflammatory qualities. Antioxidants help to neutralise harmful molecules that can damage the cells. It is also an excellent source of Vitamin C and E.
It works really well in a SMOOTHIE and so I thought I'd share with you this lovely fruity smoothie recipe from one of my staff. It'll boost your immune system and makes use of some of the gorgeous fruit on offer at the moment.
- A blender or smoothie maker
- 150g Strawberries
- 100g Blueberries
- one small banana
- one kiwi fruit
- 50g of oats
Place all the ingredients in a blender PLUS 3 teaspoons of D. Atkinson Cinnamon flavoured Super Greens Mix. Whizz together and drink immediately. The colour is interesting but don't let that put you off! It tastes great!